Wednesday, February 2, 2011

wish list.

I haven't really been here that long, but I've found myself feeling little frustrations occasionally at the inefficiency of the place I'm at.  Maybe law firms have ruined me for other workplaces, but I walk around and as the day goes by I compile a wishlist of things or systems that would multiply productivity exponentially.  Like reverse chronological filing for projects, or chronological if they prefer, or any system of filing, really.  Dated documents would be helpful; and reliable follow-up documents for things like meetings so I know if they've done the things they said that they would.  Websites to their university that actually work so that I can collect necessary data would be nice, and (my biggest item on the wishlist) some form, any form, of time-keeping. 

I know that there's less of a need for strict time-keeping because they're not billing a client directly for their time, but their lack of accountability seems to have lead them to a situation where their productivity and output is a fraction of what it could be.  And they're crying out that they don't have the manpower to implement programmes that they want but if they were just a little more regimented with their time, they really could do so much more.  

Not to say that they haven't done some fantastic things for the University and community around them, but it's frustrating seeing them squandering such amazing potential so... I want to say 'so foolishly', but they're not fools.

No comments:

Post a Comment